Sunday, February 17, 2008

FNP tacos and Apples

Last night we had a small party at our place with some GREAT friends we have made down here. My friend Lori and I had gone to OKC for a craft fair and she LOVES Indian Tacos. We decided we should have a taco night and learn to make the fry bread. She and her husband Russ came over early last night and we made fry bread. No burns, No restarts and No cussing - everything went smoothly and the fry bread tasted awesome!!! Our friends Michael and Cami joined us as well. We discussed some confusion on what people thought Indian tacos were - maybe made with curry. My suggestion was we rename the taco to what my textbooks for social work suggested out of respect to address Native Americans by. In my textbook Native Americans were called First Nation People. We discovered that while politically correct it took a really long time for someone to say, " I love these First Nation People Tacos". Russ came up with the idea that we call them FNP tacos. Probably you are saying to yourself at this moment, "Really Tracey?".

We then spent about 3 hours playing Apples to Apples. If you do not have this game, you really must invest in it. It was a blast with TONS of laughter. We made Michael laugh so hard that he was having mini asthma attacks all night. Awesome!! (Just teasing, we were really concerned we might be killing Michael) I got to use my new tablecloth that my mom bought me at the craft fair although it did not go with theme for the night. It has cowboys and cows on it. Bart said "Way to be sensitive Tracey. We are celebrating Native American heritage tonight and you set the table with Texas cowboys." I started to change the table, but Bart said it looked fine and he knew that is not what I meant for the night. I really just wanted to use my new tablecloth and give Lori some tacos!!

It was really a great time. I think we should continue this tradition every couple of months and try different ethnic foods. It would be a great educational experience and some good food. Enjoy!

1 comment:

MomP said...

Tell Bart you were just doing the whole western theme...Indians and Cowboys both make up western themes!