Friday, February 22, 2008

The Year of ME!!!

I have caught the fever!! I have been reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I am not one to usually get caught up with Oprah books, but after seeing her on Oprah, I knew I had to read the book. It is the story of a woman who takes a year to spend time in 3 countries, Italy, India and Indonesia to spend time studying herself and finding one's passion. While reading this book, I have had the "fever" to declare something as wonderful for myself like she has. Now, I have no plans to divorce my husband, nor can I afford to take off for a year and travel the world (if only we all could, huh?). I started thinking about what could I do to have my own Eat, Pray, Love moments here? I already have started the journey of higher knowledge by returning to school for my Masters Degree, but what else could I do to rejuvinate myself? So, I have come up with a list of things I really want to do or have wanted to do, but somehow, always make excuses or put off!! I am sure as I go along I will think of new things, but I am going to start my list and begin the year of ME. A lot of times we are told it is self-absorbed to focus on ourselves and dreams, but why not? Wouldn't we all be happier and healthier if we even did one thing a year we wanted to? I will post my list above this. Wish me luck and consider doing something you want or for yourself this year. Tell me what it is or what all you want to do in my comments. Keep me posted if anyone else decides to make this your year too!!!

2 comments:

MomP said...

I was going to be mean and say I thought every year since 1977 was the year of you! But since you are doing so much to make sure you make the best of life, I will not do that. I am so proud of your goals for 2008, you have grown into a woman I am very proud of.

Sarah said...

I really like this perspective, trac! i think the world would be healthier if people took time to think of themselves kindly- it would reflect onto others. thanks for the encouragement to make the list.....