Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Racism is real

Often I sit in my social work classes wondering how our system can be corrected to help those who need it and how America can overcome obstacles to heal and be a better nation. I am committing my life to work for the better of those who cannot reach the basics and the needs that everyday life demands. My hope is that you will find a way to help America be the nation that we have the resources to be! Regardless of how you feel about the presidental race or even Barack Obama, you should consider listening to his last speech delivered in PA. By listening to this speech, it does not require that you agree with him or suddenly decide to support him. My hope is that it will encourage and inspire you to consider Race and how it does divide America. Regardless of what you feel Obama's motives were behind the speech, please just listen to the message he IS delivering. His message does contain his aspirations to be President, but listen to the truths he discusses about all races and the need to unite and heal. If you disagree or dislike Senator Obama, I respect your right and understand if you would prefer to not listen to the speech. However, if you can take his speech and consider how Racism affects your life and those around you and start to consider what we can do to help other human beings out - I say it was worth the time you invested to watch his speech. If you do decide to pass on the speech, I ask that you refrain from negative comment posting on my blog. I respect your right to feel differently and ask for only positive comments to be left if the speech so moves you to do. Thank you and enjoy A More Perfect Union.

2 comments:

MomP said...

And if after listening or reading it you feel you aren't racist so it doesn't apply to you, listen again or read again the part of loosing jobs to countries so big businesses can make a profit. I have 5 friends who are loosing their jobs soon so the work they do can be sent to India. We don't hate the people in India, we are frustrated that our Company doesn't understand that if we keep doing this, no one in the US will have money to buy their products because they won't have a job.

Macie said...

Such a brave speech. I loved it!
He didn't try to avoid issues, he faced them head on and didn't dumb the speech down or step around the issue. It feels nice to have a politician who thinks we are intelligent.