Saturday, February 02, 2008

Date Night and the 3 R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)


I borrowed this pic from a Whole Foods in Ann Arbor found on Flicker at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adinges/286505164/. Bart wouldn't let me take my camera. I will go back without him and do it!!!!

Bart took me on an interesting "quick" date last night at my request. Since moving to the metroplex I have desired to take a look in the Whole Foods Grocery Store. I never made it, but after a recent news broadcast, I knew I needed to get there. The company has made the commitment to stop using all plastic bags by Earth Day of this year. You can still use their paper sacks or buy one of their reusable bags for .99 a bag. They are made from 80% post recycled material like old plastic soda bottles. Pretty Neat. The bags are adorable and I can use them even if I stop at Walmart or Target. I was so excited last night, coming up with new ideas. I can use one of the bags when I go to the library instead of having to carry all my books, or making Bart carry half of my stack.

Aren't they so cool

The store has some products that I will continue to purchase at my other stores, but nothing matches what I like to call their "Aisle of Grains and Goodies". I about exploded with excitement last night. I can purchase things like flax seed, barley, alphabet soup, wild rices, all kinds of flours and even local honey out of these huge dispensers. Bart and I have made it our goal this year to eat healthier and to improve what we use and do this year. Having a store like Whole Foods will make it easier for me to make all of the tasty recipes that require items you can't normally find at your neighborhood grocery store. I hope to post some of our yummy meals this year for you.

I also have a basket that I got last year to use when we go to the local farmers market. It is the cutest basket, and I use it around the house too. I use it when I am picking up around the house or to hold some of my craft items. I hope to use it for picking fruit this spring and summer. We have found a couple of local farms that allow you to come in and for a small price pick some of their fruit and vegetables. I hope to post some pics of that later this year. You can find this basket at The Container Store under Handled Bins and Baskets.


The last thing we are considering is starting our own little garden. We only have a front yard, as our back yard is actually a driveway for us to park our cars. So, we are trying to decide if we have an area to plant or if we will container garden. Stay tuned for some pics on that as well.

I recently picked up a book at the library to begin my own research on the organic v. regular foods. It is a great book and represents both sides equally I feel. Plus, it explains all the lingo that is thrown around in case you are like me, a organics virgin. If you have questions, a quest to understand the history of organics or you are just bored, pick up this book.


Check it out at Amazon:


I also have started into the exciting world of repurposing or refashioning clothes. I am involved in an online group or two right now where the challenges are to refashion your old clothes. It will probably be closer to the end of February when I actually finish some of the projects, but check out my craft blog later to see those projects:
Thanks for allowing me to indulge in what excites me right now. Even if it is not your cup of tea, I hope you will enjoy our adventure this year as we reuse and repurpose items. It should be a good time!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah...lucky you...having a Whole Foods there. If I want to go ...I have at least an hour drive...so it doesn't happen. But I'm with you they are great for finding many ingredients you can't find other places. Not sure if all stores do this..but when we were in CA they would have fresh fruit to sample and cheese and bread, etc. I loved getting an idea of what new things to try and so forth. Have fun shopping there.

MomP said...

Does this mean I have to bring my own junk food when I visit? (Just kidding!!)